Welcome to Orleton Village
Contact: Barbara Mark (Secretary)
The Garden is located centrally in the village, so anyone visiting Orleton shop and Post Office cannot miss it,
with its new wall, lovely sign and bench. Access to the garden is via steps just inside the driveway of
Yew Tree House.
The area is now kept as a sanctuary for wildlife and to preserve a part of the history of our village,
under the Caring for God’s Acre project. Orleton Memorial Garden was formally a
Plymouth Brethren Burial Ground with a chapel attached. Orleton Parish Council became the Trustees
of this area in 2004.
The ‘Caring for God’s Acre’ group was created formally on 13th February 2005 when it held its first AGM.
The meeting decided to call the group ‘The Hoe’ for short, which stands for Helping Orleton’s Environment.
The official name is Orleton Memorial Garden ‘Caring for God’s Acre’ Group.
he membership of the group is open to anyone, but children under 11 need to be accompanied by a
We run regular working parties and are always delighted to welcome new helpers and committee members.
Do look on our notice board for news of these meetings.
The area is under the remit of the Charities Commission and they helped Orleton Parish Council
prepare the Trustees documentation.
The earliest grave stone is from 1868; Jane Hawkins who died aged 57.
The last stone was in 1937 for Robert Twiddy Kennet who died at the age of 75.
However there are some more recent burials which were observed by John and Edna Bertinat,
who used to care for the ground when they were alive.